If you’ve been waiting for a Kindle Crosswords App, you’re in for a treat – There are now 4 Kindle Crosswords Apps available from NY Times.
The way NY Times has released these is – It has split them into Easy and Challenging, and into a set of 30 and a set of 90.
- NY Times Kindle Crosswords App (Easy) – 30 puzzles for $1.99.
- NY Times Kindle Crosswords App (Easy ) – 90 puzzles for $4.99.
- NY Times Kindle Crosswords App (Hard) – 30 puzzles for $1.99.
- NY Times Kindle Crosswords App (Hard) – 90 puzzles for $4.99.
So you can choose which difficulty level you like, and how many crosswords you’d like.
Kindle Crosswords App from NY Times – Quick Thoughts
- The Kindle’s screen size doesn’t seem enough for a crosswords app. On the bright side, the letters are very clear.
- The clues are in a small font. Do take a look at the screenshots before buying. Not sure if there’s an option to see a particular clue in large-size font.
- Only 1 of the 4 apps has reviews so far – a solitary 4 star review. It describes the NY Times Kindle Crosswords App as – pretty good, not perfect but playable.
- This is a much-awaited app. It’s a bit disappointing to see NY Times split it into 4 apps, and make things complicated.
- If you want 120 puzzles, in a particular difficulty level, you have to buy 2 apps for a combined total of $7. That’s a bit steep.
Since I’m neither an expert at Crosswords, nor familiar with these 4 apps, here are some details from the review -
–Clues are right where you can see them, both across and down.
–Everything is very readable.
–Answer checking is available.
–The game doesn’t know where the next answer should be placed, so you have to scroll around a bit to get to a clue on the next line.
–It’s slow. There is significant lag time between typing and letters appearing, but you can type ahead.
Around 4 stars, is what my opinion would be too – for the $1.99 titles. The $4.99 titles seem overly expensive.